Come sing with us!
Thank you for your interest in joining Angel City Chorale. We divide the year into two seasons:
SPRING: Generally starting in February and ending with concerts in June
FALL/HOLIDAY: September through mid-December, with concerts usually the first weekend in December
We will contact you to confirm an audition date and time.
Start here: Please read about our audition process and FAQ, then fill out the Audition Request Form below. Before your audition, you will be asked to complete a Singer Information Form. Singers must be 18 years of age or older to audition.
Spring Audition dates:
January 30th 7:30-10 PM
- February 6th 7:30-10 PM
- February 9th 2-5 PM
Missed the season deadline? Be sure to still fill out the form below!
- Auditions take place at the music studio of our conductor and artistic director (Sue Fink) in West Los Angeles. You will be given a call-time. However, we cannot guarantee your time slot, so please be prepared to wait if necessary. The audition itself lasts approximately 15 minutes.
- The audition will be with Sue and up to four musical advisors and choir members.
- To determine your vocal range, you will be asked to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" up and down a scale.
- You should come prepared to sing a song you feel best demonstrates your vocal talent. You may bring sheet music, sing from memory, sing a cappella or bring an instrument recording to sing with. Piano accompaniment can also be provided.
- Sight-read music provided
- Sing back a piano part to demonstrate your ability to learn by ear
- Tap out rhythms to show your rhythmic abilities
- Sing with other members to demonstrate how your voice blends as well as how well you hold your part against other vocal parts
- Audition with a song that best suits your voice and demonstrates your ability to stay on pitch.
- You must demonstrate strong sight reading, rhythmic skills, and the ability to blend in a choral setting.
- Requirements for sight reading can be somewhat relaxed if you are a strong soloist or are a Tenor or Bass. (Note: We generally have twice as many women as men auditioning.)
- Read through our Audition FAQs.
Q: What piece should I audition with? Are you looking for a particular style?
A: The choir has a diverse repertoire; therefore, you can choose any genre from classical to pop. What matters the most is how you sound, so choose a song that best reflects your voice.
Q: How many spaces are you looking to fill?
A: This varies from season to season, and depends on how many singers are returning to the choir each season. In addition, we strive to maintain a balance between voice parts.
Q: Is sight reading mandatory?
A: Sight reading skills are required for women, unless you are a strong soloist. We have limited space for new Sopranos and Altos, as we need to maintain balance between all of the sections, so only those with strong skills will be considered. These requirements can be relaxed for Tenors or Basses.
Q: When will I be notified about my audition results?
A: We let everyone know the results after the final day of auditions.
Q: When do you perform?
A: We have two main concerts per year: the first Saturday and Sunday in June, and the first Saturday and Sunday in December. We also have other exciting gigs that come up throughout the year and perform as we are called upon.
Q: What is your concert attire? Do you wear robes?
A: The choir wears all black. No, we do not wear robes.
Q: I haven’t sung in a choir or taken voice lessons before. Will I be good enough to make the choir?
A: Generally, most of our singers have choral or solo experience. If you have any questions regarding your abilities, you can always take a voice lesson from our director, Sue Fink, to see where you stand. She can be reached at 310-397-3193.
Q: Is there an age requirement for joining ACC?
A: All singers must be 18 years of age or older.
Q: Do your singers get paid?
A: We are a non-profit organization; therefore, the singers do not get paid.
Q: Are there any choir fees or dues?
A: Yes, all singers pay dues. The amount is $245 per season. There are 2 seasons per year. Payment arrangements can be made on the first night of rehearsals with the business manager.
There are many logistical tasks to complete for both rehearsals and concert production, and we require all members to share responsibility for those tasks and assist as much as possible.
Q: When and where do you rehearse?
A: We rehearse on Thursday nights from 7:30pm to 10:00pm at St. Andrews Lutheran Church in West Los Angeles. Chamber and other small groups rehearse on Sunday afternoon or evening.